Defining the Project
First of all, a project is a set of temporary activities that have a beginning and an end date. Defining the project involves:
- Setting the Objectives - What is it that that is supposed to be accomplished?
- Defining an Organization Structure - Who is in charge of what?
- Identifying the Needed Resources - How many people will we need and what equipment is required?
- Defining the Financial Objectives - What are the expected benefits?
Another way of looking at it is:
- Mandate - Are the sponsors on board with their commitments?
- Purpose - Do we understand why we're doing this?
- Objectives - Do we understand the things we're after?
- Scope - Do we understand the boundaries we have to live within?
- Benefit - Do we understand the benefits that we're looking for?
- Timescale - Do we understand how long this might take?
- Control - Do we understand who is in control and who has the ultimate say?
- Prioritization - Do we understand what needs to get dome before we can start something else?
- Deliverables - Do we understand what we ultimately have to deliver to our sponsors and customers?